Monday, February 2, 2009

Darwin Day

The two-hundredth anniversary of Darwin's birth is approaching (Feb 12). As part of the celebration, Science News has concocted an interview with him (based on his writings).

I could fisk the individual points, but there are a couple of key points:
"I cannot see as plainly as others do, and as I should wish to do, evidence of design and beneficence on all sides of us. There seems to me too much misery in the world. I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created the Ichneumonidæ with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of caterpillars, or that a cat should play with mice.…" (emphasis added)
It is clear Darwin has no clue about sin or the Fall...
"By further reflecting that the clearest evidence would be requisite to make any sane man believe in the miracles by which Christianity is supported, — and that the more we know of the fixed laws of nature the more incredible do miracles become … I gradually came to disbelieve in Christianity as a divine revelation." (emphasis added)
This notion of miracles as violations of fixed laws is a common error. It is also clear that Darwin had no idea what Christianity was about at all. We believe the miracles, because we trust God to keep His promises (His Word). We seek after God because of the problem of sin.

No comments: