Thursday, July 24, 2008

Paul's Gospel

If First John is my favorite book, then Romans would probably be the one book I would choose if I could only have one book to take with me. That is because it is a rich source of theology.

First of all, it contains a well-developed presentation of the Gospel:
  • Overview (chapter 1, verses 2-6)
  • God's Judgment (chapter 2)
  • How the Law cannot save us (end of chapter 2, and chapter 3)
  • Salvation is by faith (end of chapter 3, and chapter 4)
  • Some of the consequences of salvation (chapters 5 and 6)
  • Paul develops this theology in chapters 7-13
  • Chapter 14 gives vital insight for how Christians are to bear with one another
Romans 1:16
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek."

No comments: