Saturday, May 10, 2008

Witness Report

Today there was a festival in a nearby town. Our church rented a stall, and set up what we call the "Discover Hope" table. We offer a selection of tracts and Christian pamphlets for free to all passers by.

It started out raining, and we were worried we would have to cancel. But, praise God, the rain broke and we had a good day overall.

We gave out a lot of tracts to passers-by, and had many people come up to the table. We also had an argumentative older man debate with us for several minutes.

Interesting passer-by for the day, "Is this one of those 'end of the world' things?" Me: "No, well, you have to be ready..." "It's your world coming to an end!! Not mine!!" Ok, then...


I also got a chance to visit some of the other booths and have some good conversations. I talked with some very friendly Muslims. I was surprised at the candor they had when I asked them "Do you have assurance [of eternal life when you die]?". "No" was their answer!

I also talked for a while with a group of pro-choice activists. They were, uh, "angry".


My last conversation was with two Mormons. There is something strange going on with the Mormons. They are pushing more on their image as "regular Christians". When I asked about all the usual Mormon heresies, they denied them. They claimed salvation by faith alone, without works. They attested to the eternality of Jesus. Very odd. I didn't know what to say. I guess if their prophet tells them to adopt orthodox Christian doctrines, they will become Christians. I am hopeful, but still wary...

1 comment:

braverdave said...

Interesting passer-by for the day, "Is this one of those 'end of the world' things?" Me: "No, well, you have to be ready..." "It's your world coming to an end!! Not mine!!" Ok, then...

hehehe

When the end of the world is mentioned my standard comment is the world has been ending since the eighth day ... it's simply taking a long time.